No-Sew Sock Penguin – February 2019
- 1 black sock (I used men’s socks)
- 1 sock in color or pattern for the hat (I used children’s socks)
- Rice (will need 4 or 5 cups per penguin)
- rubber bands (or thread)
- white and orange felt
- tacky glue
- black sharpie
- Scissors (make sure they are sharp!)
- Start by filling the black sock with rice (you’ll need a nice amount of rice).
- When you are happy with the amount of rice and the rough shape of the soon to be sock penguin tie a rubber band at the top. If you use a sock with arch support you may be able to skip the rubber band.
- Now take another rubber band and place it just above the middle of the sock, to separate the body and the head. You will probably have to shape the body a little with your hands.
- Cut the excess sock. You can secure the top by adding some glue from the glue gun.
- Cut a white oval shape (measure it against the body to get things right) out of white felt.
- Glue it on the sock with tacky glue Cut a small beak out of orange felt and glue it onto the head. Draw two black eyes with a black marker.
- Add ribbon to make a scarf (Glue down ribbon if desired)
- Lastly cut one colorful sock (at the middle). Roll it up a little bit to get the hat shape and place on top of the penguin. (You can glue the “Hat band” for a cleaner look)
Notes: You can make a lot of variation just by changing the hat. One penguin I used the toe of the sock and another I used the left over leg.
- Cheerios (plain is healthier for the birds)
- Ribbon-narrow works best
- Scotch tape -optional
- Cut a length of narrow ribbon about 2 feet long.
- Cut the ribbon on the diagonal or tightly roll a piece of tape around the end of the ribbon. This will help threading the ribbon thru the hole in the Cheerios.
- Thread lots of Cheerios onto the ribbon.
- Tie a knot at the bottom of the ribbon preventing the Cheerios from sliding off. Leave about a 3”-4” tail on the ribbon.
- Take the Cheerio string outside and tie it to a branch of a tree. If possible tie the “Ribbon of Cheerios” to a branch where there are several other branches for the birds to sit on while munching on the Cheerios.
- When the cereal is all gone simply untie the string, bring it in the house and refill.